Re: gcc/INSTALL?

> I'd suggest the other way round - making the README solely point to the
> other manuals.  Actually, I'd suggest making gcc/README go away, and
> making the toplevel README be GCC-specific - since this is a GCC
> distribution, we shouldn't confuse the user by suggesting that it might be
> a gdb distribution (say) instead, and shouldn't waste their time by making
> the most obvious README just indirect to another one.

Yes, this generic top-level README is a Cygnus-ism that is long overdue
for death.  If people really want to preserve the notion that GCC is only
a subset of one ueber-tree that also can contain gdb, binutils, gas, and
every other tool under the sun, then perhaps the generic README could
be renamed README.generic, so that there can also be a README.GCC (and,
for other trees, a README.GAS, README.BINUTILS etc) at the top level.