Re: [I don't think it's off-topic at all] Linking speed for C++

"H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 08:13:13PM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > You might want to takes a looksie at the BeOS config files for LD.
> >
> > On BeOS, everything is linked -Bsymbolic, by default.
> >
> > And it does C++ just fine, even across shared libraries.
> >

> I am not very sure if C++ works ok without any restrictions on BeOS.
> That was my impression last time when I worked on a BeOS related
> bfd problem.

I'm pretty darn positive.
I've written (with 2 others) a large, heavily multithreaded, graphical development
environment, which has shared libraries it's linked to on it's own,
plus tons of dynamically loaded plugins.

It uses templates, RTTI, exceptions, etc, extensively, across shared
library boundaries and whatnot.

No problemo.

Remember, the whole Be API is in C++ itself (Excluding the hacked
glibc port and the kernel).

Though that's not really a good example, I guess, in this case,
because they restrict what they use and do things like padding classes
so they can add functions without breaking compatibility (the dynamic
linker can rename symbols according to patch files and whatnot in
support of this).

--Dan

--
"I was going 70 miles an hour and got stopped by a cop who said,
"Do you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?"  "Yes,