Re: [I don't think it's off-topic at all] Linking speed for C++

Ho,

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 12:16:11AM +0200, Michael Matz wrote:
> > I have the feeling, that -Bsymbolic should only be applied to functions
> > (or other things for which indirection already exists), and not to data.
>
> The rules can't be changed now.  In any case, there are situations
> in which you _want_ -Bsymbolic to apply to data.  Namely, when the
> data is private and not used between shared objects.

Of course, of course, but is there some inherent requirement which would
rule out a -Bsymbolic_for_fun(c), i.e. is it somehow required, that if
code-symbols are resolved at link-time intra-DSO-wise, then also data
symbols need to be?  I guess not, as otherwise the more finegraned ELF
visibility stuff wouldn't be possible (I guess DT_DYNAMIC can't be set as
that really means also to resolve data).  I quickly browsed through bfd
for the use of the .symbolic flag, and it seems to be only on some
distinct places, so a .but_only_for_funcs flag might be feasible.  Or?

Ciao,
Michael.