This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
- To: Laurent Guerby <guerby at acm dot org>
- Subject: Re: gcc/INSTALL?
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:32:51 +0100 (BST)
- cc: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <dean at wakerley dot com>
On Tue, 29 May 2001, Laurent Guerby wrote:
> A short README explaining what is GCC and where to find more
> information is perfectly fine IMHO.
And, this short README should be at top level, since large parts of GCC
are not in the gcc subdirectory.
> I also think an ASCII readable INSTALL should be in the GCC tarball
> (generated from install.texi for example).
I think doc/install.texi supports generating multiple HTML files - and
presumably multiple text files documenting installation, as were in
install/ at top level in previous releases. However, the Makefile support
for this isn't yet there, and there are various Texinfo style problems
with doc/install.texi needing to be fixed (after which - once the Texinfo
is clean and a good printed manual can be generated from doc/install.texi
- I'll look at moving the existing contents of the old gcc/install.texi
out of that file to the new installation manual and elsewhere).
Joseph S. Myers