Re: gcc/INSTALL?

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Laurent Guerby wrote:

> A short README explaining what is GCC and where to find more
> information is perfectly fine IMHO.

And, this short README should be at top level, since large parts of GCC
are not in the gcc subdirectory.

> I also think an ASCII readable INSTALL should be in the GCC tarball
> (generated from install.texi for example).

I think doc/install.texi supports generating multiple HTML files - and
presumably multiple text files documenting installation, as were in
install/ at top level in previous releases.  However, the Makefile support
for this isn't yet there, and there are various Texinfo style problems
with doc/install.texi needing to be fixed (after which - once the Texinfo
is clean and a good printed manual can be generated from doc/install.texi
- I'll look at moving the existing contents of the old gcc/install.texi
out of that file to the new installation manual and elsewhere).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk