Re: criteria.html open issues

On Mon, 28 May 2001 dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> I find it confusing to mix up optimziation levels with options for
> restricting the language to accomodate old incorrect code. The strict
> aliasing doesa not break any correct code. I quite understand that there
> is a lot of old incorrect code around in this particular regard, but
> it would seem more reasonable to me rely on a separate option for this.

Perhaps -traditional should disable -fstrict-aliasing.  However, I think
-traditional is a fairly useless option (which is e.g. not usable with
glibc); does anyone actually find that they still have old C code which
works with -traditional and not without and which they need to be able to
recompile with new GCC versions but don't want to convert to standard C?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk