Re: PATCH for Re: bad link (on http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#mips*-sgi-irix6)

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Erik Mouw wrote:
> Not completely the correct URL, but sgi is reachable again so I can
> look it up. This is the correct one:
>
>   http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/gcc-2.95.2-sgipl1.html

Thanks! However, I decided to intentionally take the more generic URL,
as to avoid broken links and/or continous updates in the future. As a
rule of thumb, I try to avoid URLs that have some kind of (subrelease)
version information encoded whereever possible.

(For example, our current release is GCC 2.95.3, and it seems there will
be a GCC 2.95.4 at some point, apart from GCC 3.0.x.)

So, http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/gcc.html would be fine, but
gcc-2.95.2-sgipl1.html really makes me a bit nervous. :-o

> The second part about troubleshooting and known bugs is the most
> important.

Yes, that's very useful!

Gerald