Re: Benchmarking theory

"Joseph S. Myers" wrote:

> Benchmark results seem to get posted to the gcc list as single figures for
> a test and old and new compilers, with assertions that results seem
> significant or are consistent between runs.  Why are benchmarks done on
> this basis rather than using actual statistical significance tests?

Perhaps because we haven't included specific benchmarking tests into our
release criteria ?

> Could someone point me to appropriate references on the theory of
> benchmarking that explain this?

Tsk.  My theory of benchmarking is:

1. Take you own application.

2. Constuct a sample self-contained application out of it.

3. Ship it to prospective hardware sellers.

4. Rank results.

5. Buy.

OK - simplistic, but it works.