Re: stepanov on sparc; sparc backend scheduling issues

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 08:50:13AM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM> writes:
>
> | ...Certainly we are best off by default using only the
> | v7 instruction set, but I think we should tune for whatever is the
> | most common architecture currently in use.
>
> I 100% agree with Joe.
>
> | I don't know if that should be Ultrasparc
>
> Maybe v9?

If -mtune= should default to something different to -mcpu=, then surely
-mtune=ultrasparc, there is no tuning for v9, since v9 is not a chip (though
-mcpu=v9 -mtune=ultrasparc makes sense).
gcc does not tune for HAL sparc64 chips and even if it did, UltraSPARCs are
far more common.

	Jakub