Re: GCC 3.0 Prereleases

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> However, I don't think we need to tag prereleases or make diffs
> between them -- so I didn't do this yet.  I really want to make sure
> that we test the actual tarballs -- not last weeks tarballs plus some
> diffs.  Paranoia.

GCC practice has been to tag everything - including all the weekly
snapshots, so I think anything put into a tarball we put up for FTP
qualifies.  It could always be useful later when the tarballs are no
longer on gcc.gnu.org, or for tracking bugs without needing to have source
trees of each prerelease around.

Diffs, as well as tarballs, should get tested - otherwise there may be
problems as soon as people try to go from 3.0 to 3.0.1 using diffs.
There will also be testers on dialup who are less likely to do any testing
at all if they have to do 17Mb downloads for every prerelease.  (One other
thing I'll add is production of .bz2 files, to reduce those download
sizes.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk