Re: gzip performance test

    David> 	All of this is un-scientific and not official results
    David> of any kind.  By this comparison, gcc-3.0 looks pretty good
    David> at the basic C optimization level.

Good news so far -- both gzip (for whatever it's worth) and your
benchmarks indicate that we're not getting much worse.  Since we've
decided this is more of a feature release than a performance release,
that's perfectly much in line with what I'd hope.

We might want to collect these results somewhere (Gerald?) just so
that we remember what we've done.

Thanks for doing the testing!