This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: gzip performance test
- To: Joe Buck <jbuck at racerx dot synopsys dot com>, jfm2 at club-internet dot fr
- Subject: Re: gzip performance test
- From: Jean Francois Martinez <jfm2 at club-internet dot fr>
- Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 22:15:09 +0200
- Cc: dje at watson dot ibm dot com (David Edelsohn), jbuck at synopsys dot COM (Joe Buck), gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- References: <200105251516.IAA13430@racerx.synopsys.com>
- Reply-To: jfm2 at club-internet dot fr
In my previous post I forgot to mention that when benchmarkiing gzip you
should alao check for code size: probably not a problem for gzip but in
other programs increases in code size can cause slowdowns due to cache and
TLB exhaustion. Also in real world there are other programs competing for
memory, TLB and cache so generalized use of a compiler who generates faster
but bigger code can make the whole load running slower.