core file not created

I am running code compiled with g++ using gcc version egcs-2.91.66 on a
Linux system.  When I get a segmentation fault, no core file is
created.  I have never before seen an instance of where a segmentation
fault is not accompanied by a core dump.  I wrote a simple test program
that does nothing but incorrectly index an array and it also does create
a core file when it crashes.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have on how to fix this.  It's
making debugging very difficult.

Thank you,
Katherine Meiszer