Re: Building libstdc++-2.90.7 using gcc-2.95.3 on Redhat Linux 7.1

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 03:07:33PM -0400, Roscoe A Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2001, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > The concept applies, but not the patch.  :-)  The library to use with
> > GCC 2.95.3 is 2.90.8, plus a patch which I shall post shortly via
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/libstdc++/status.html .
>
> Phil,
>
> Could you point me to proper installation instructions for using
> libstdc++-2.90.8 with gcc-2.95.3?  The instructions at
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/install.html
>
> don't quite seem to be correct.

The online insstructions are correct for the current snapshot.  (Hmmm,
actually, they're slightly outdated for the current snapshot.)  Instructions
for 2.90.8 are the ones /included/ with 2.90.8.

Basically, unpack GCC.  Remove the listdc++ and libio directories.
Unpack 2.90.8, apply the patch I posted, move it into the gcc directory,
rename it 'libstdc++' so it takes the place of the one that was there.
(Nothing takes the place of the libio directory that you've already deleted.)
Configure and bootstrap.  There are probably some funky configuration
options to use, since gcc didn't know about libstdc++-v3 at the time.
(Was --enable-namespaces still used then?  I no longer recall.)

Or you can wait twenty-odd days and install GCC 3.0.  To which end I need
to do some serious cleanup of those online docs...

Phil