big endian on Intel

GNU,

Unformatted data files are inconsistent between my SGI Octane workstation
(IRIX 6.5) and my Dell Intel Linux box (RedHat 6.2).  The difference is the
Endianness of the files.  The gcc compilers seem to have endianness control
for several platforms (IBM, SPARC,etc) but not for Intel.  Is this a future
option planned for the Intel platforms (when)?  Or is this option now
available and I have just missed it?  I know that the Portland Group
compiler for Linux on Intel will allow setting Big-Endian,  does gcc for
Intel have a similar capability (I'd much rather stay with the GNU
compilers)?

Thanks,
Warren Davis