documentation of trees vs RTL

I've noticed that RTL has a lot more visibility than GCC's "tree"
data structure.  A lot of people who know about RTL don't seem
to know about trees, which leads them to wierd misconceptions
and probably inaccurate conclusions (e.g. that it is hard for a language
front-end to target GCC because you need to generate RTL and RTL is
platform-specific; or that getting GCC to generate MSIL is hopeless, because
RTL doesn't have enough type information [the possibility of generating RTL
from trees not considered]).

So, I think it would be good to have better documentation of GCC's overall
design in (the implementors' section of) the manual.  Last time I looked,
there was a chapter titled "RTL", but very little mention of the tree
data structure.

Well, probably you knew this already.