Re: [I don't think it's off-topic at all] Linking speed for C++

In article <jmbsp26wwu.fsf@geoffk.org> you write:
>There's no way to know, for an externally visible symbol, at link
>time, which dso it is in, even if there is a definition in the same
>dso as it is used, because it could be overridden elsewhere.

Even though this is the way ELF is supposed to do things, this looks to
me like an utterly stupid design decision.  What this does is ensure that
dynamic linking time is going to go waaay up when the size of libraries
increase.  Obviously, kde is already stumbling into that barrier, as it's
the first majorly large project that uses dynamic linking extensively.

Isn't there at least a simple way to tell ELF to stop being dumb and
just resolve the symbol here & now ?

I mean, all these magic thingies in ELF that provide more than enough rope
to hang oneself's, and it would be missing such a useful practical feature ?