Re: Defining __powerpc__ in rs6000.h

On 20-May-2001, David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
> 	It sounds like the Boehm GC is not as pedantically ISO C clean (or
> whatever the relevant standard is).  It should be using __powerpc__.  As
> Boehm is cooperating with GCC, we should work with the developers to
> correct this.

I agree that it would be good to change the Boehm GC to use `__powerpc__'
and the like, so that it works correctly when compiled by GCC in strict
ISO C mode.  However, I think GCC should continue to define `powerpc'
when `-ansi' is not specified, at least for a considerable transition
period, so that old versions of the Boehm GC and other software which
depends on this will continue to compile correctly.

Note that the Boehm GC will never be strictly conforming ISO C89 / C99,
even if the code is changed to use `__powerpc__' instead of `powerpc'.
It inherently relies on the use of operations which have undefined
behaviour in ISO C.