Re: compilation failure

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 12:42:36PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> The question is why we should allow you to compile a function that you
> cannot possibly run.  For example, dw2_asm_output_pcrel will always
> abort if called on a platform that doesn't define
> ASM_OUTPUT_DWARF_PCREL or UNALIGNED_INT_ASM_OP.

Yes.

> Why should we compile the function at all on such a platform?

Because you'll have to uglify a _lot_ of code with ifdefs in
order to get rid of it.  And in the end all you'll do is move
the abort from dw2_asm_output_pcrel to one of the routines
that interprets pointer encodings.

The reason you _can't_ use #error is that it is not an absolute
requirement that the target be able to output such relocations.
But if the target can't output such relocations, it shouldn't
request them.

r~