Re: compilation failure

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:

  No.  If you're not capable of emitting pc-relative relocs, you
  shouldn't be asking for them via ASM_PREFERRED_EH_DATA_FORMAT.

Sorry -- that seemed to confirm what I thought rather than contradict
it. :-)

The question is why we should allow you to compile a function that you
cannot possibly run.  For example, dw2_asm_output_pcrel will always
abort if called on a platform that doesn't define
ASM_OUTPUT_DWARF_PCREL or UNALIGNED_INT_ASM_OP.

Why should we compile the function at all on such a platform?  It
would seem that either it is not needed on such platforms (in which
case we could conditionally compile it away) -- or (and this is what I
thought you were saying) the platform is horrendously misconfigured in
which case we should #error so that the user knows that right away,
rather than waiting until actually compiling a file that uses
exceptions.