Re: [RFC] -Wid-clash-LEN broken

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Neil Booth wrote:

> However, hashtable.c cannot distinguish between an identifier used
> solely by cpplib (say a macro definition), and one that gets passed to
> the front ends.  Shall we consider this a new feature and a goodness,

A feature.  Though the limits on the length of the identifier that is
required to be significant in an ISO C implementation differ for different
classes of identifiers, there still is one for macro names.  I doubt it's
worth implementing the precise ISO C rules (including the details of how
Unicode characters are to be counted for each class of names) - hopefully
there are few enough broken compilers about that people want to use GCC to
check compatibility with.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk