This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Defining __powerpc__ in rs6000.h
- To: obrien at FreeBSD dot org
- Subject: Re: Defining __powerpc__ in rs6000.h
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:32:40 -0400
- cc: Geoff Keating <geoffk at geoffk dot org>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
The AIX compilers do not introduce any macro definitions like
__powerpc__ into the namespace, so GCC should not polute the namespace on
However, CPP_CPU_SPEC and ASM_CPU_SPEC in rs6000.h clearly are
further hold-overs from AIX support. I have no objection to moving those
definitions to aix.h as overrides and defining a more standard set in
rs6000.h. I suspect the AIX macro definitions need to remain for backward
compatibility, but Franz and Geoff are the ones with more experience in
that area. Adding __powerpc__ or __ppc__ to the non-AIX case would be
fine with me.
There are many more things that should move from rs6000.h to
aix.h. And because of the forthcoming 64-bit PowerPC SVR4/ELF ABI which
is based on the AIX 64-bit PowerPC ABI, xcoff.h eventually will be split
out from aix.h.