Re: Libjava craziness

    Alexandre> On May 17, 2001, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
    Alexandre> wrote:

    >> The cause is the following wonderful N^2 algorithm used to
    >> produce the library:

    Alexandre> Looks like something went wrong in the test that
    Alexandre> detects the maximum command-line length.  Look for
    Alexandre> lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len in config.cache and for
    Alexandre> max_cmd_len in libtool.  If you could find out why it
    Alexandre> got a small value for you, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Rats.  I deleted the 7GB already.  I'm trying again -- and perversely
hoping it will happen again.

Here is what I have from the log -- and it appears you guess is
correct:

  finding the maximum length of command line arguments... ../../../libstdc++-v3/../ltconfig: Can't reopen pipe to command substitution (fd 4): No child processes
  ../../../libstdc++-v3/../ltconfig: test: !=: unary operator expected
  37

I'm not sure what that's about -- I know that, for example, I wasn't
short on processes on my machine.

Looking at the loop that does this check, it should have terminated
when $i was 32.

It seems like it would be better to do the deletions as we go, in any
case, but you're right that the real problem seems to lie here.

What do you think went wrong?

Thanks,