Re: commitinfo script to check policy, issue warnings (and/or abort commit)

On May 16, 2001, Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001, Loren James Rittle wrote:
>> If we want to force people to use `cvs import' to bring libtool into
>> our source tree (i.e. prevent_commit=0), then this documentation
>> should appear in http://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html:

> Well, as far as I understood, we don't want to absolutely enforce this
> rule, but strongly recommend it, so it would make sense to add such a
> note to codingconventions.html anyway, wouldn't it? Alexandre?

Yep, sounds reasonable to me.  But I'm not so sure about how to get
things imported into a branch, for example.  So I'd probably end up
just checking in new versions.  The important thing, to me, is not to
enforce import as opposed to commit, but to make it clear that
versions should be brought over from gnu/config and libtool, as
opposed to installing local changes, to avoid divergence and confusion
about versions labeled with the same version number doing different
things.