Re: commitinfo script to check policy, issue warnings (and/or abortcommit)

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Gerald, would you look this over, and install it if it looks OK to
> you?

Yes, I'll take care of it -- with the help of Alexandre and whoever
else wants to help.

On 16 May 2001, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> for i in `basename $1`; do case $i in
> basename is not portable.  I suggest `echo "$1" | sed 's,.*/,,'' instead.

Given that this script is only supposed to run on the CVS server with
the GCC master tree, is this a concern? All modern systems I am aware
of have basename.

> I heard Hans wanted the GCC CVS tree to become the official repository
> of boehm-gc.  I'm not sure this is already official.

There are some final details that are being checked, so it's not official,
but there is a good chance it will become "soon".

> I don't think we should prevent commits, but if check-ins can be
> aborted at this time with ^C, I suggest telling the user so and giving
> him/her like 30 seconds to decide whether to break the convention or
> not.

Yes, that sounds like an excellent compromise (to start with). And, that
notification email to gcc@gcc.gnu.org should be sent whenever a commit
does happen.

Loren, could you please make these minor changes and send a new version?
I'll then take care of the rest -- praying that I won't block commits to
the entire tree! :-O

Thanks for following this path and helping us to address this issue that
thouroughly now!

Gerald