This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Re: visual studio compatibility
- To: dan at www dot cgsoftware dot com (Daniel Berlin)
- Subject: Re: Re: visual studio compatibility
- From: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot COM>
- Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:31:37 -0700 (PDT)
- Cc: reedkotler at hotmail dot com (Reed Kotler), decraft at bigfoot dot com (=?Windows-1251?B?z+Di5esgyvPn7eX27uI=?=), fjh at cs dot mu dot oz dot au (Fergus Henderson), gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
[ reverse engineering msvc ]
> Object layout we can't do anyway. They've patented most of it (You can
> therefore find most of it documented in the patents), and as they
> get more desperate to stop open source software, i'd think we don't want
> to be anywhere near the cross-hairs.
It might be possible to do a partial job without violating their patents;
there's nothing special in the case of single inheritance. But yes, any
implementation that is fully binary compatible with MSVC has to violate