The most unpopular suggestion ever (was Re: SPARC, register renaming, __builtin_return_address)

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 04:50:32PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> (It's wasn't clear what *good* this was supposed to do, so I looked at
> the register renaming code.  The comment on regrename_optimize is the
> none-too-illuminating:
>
>   /* Perform register renaming on the current function.  */
>
> Hmm.  Lucky I already knew what this optimization was about.)
[...]
>   - The documentation for regrename.c is, shall we say, minimal.
>     There is not even a basic description of the optimization being
>     performed.  There is no mention of this pass in the `passes'
>     section in the manual.
>
>     The best overall description actually shows up with the
>     -frename-registers documentation in the manual.
>
>     Whoever originally wrote this code should write some
>     documentation for it.  In addition to the lack of global
>     description, there are no comments on many of the functions
>     and variables in regrename.c.
>
>   - The name and documentation for current_function_uses_only_leaf_regs
>     is less-than-complete.
[...]

Hey everyone.  After 3.0, how about totally freezing all development, no
checkins to code at all, until the comments and $%!&#@ manual are brought
up to a much higher level of correctness and usefulness?

*ducks the thrown tomatoes*

Yesterday I was asked (in person) a question about GCC, and when I responded
with, "not sure, have you checked the manual?" they laughed out loud.

Phil