Re: visual studio compatibility

On 13-May-2001, Pavel Kuznetsov <decraft@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> So, me and my father are working on some kind of gcc binary compatibility
> layer with visual studio. Among other this includes
> - structures packing
> - debug information format
> - etc.

I presume you're talking just about compatibility for C, not for C++?

By the way, are you aware that Microsoft are planning to ship a new
version of Visual Studio, which supports a completely new ABI,
based on MSIL, Microsoft's new intermediate language, rather than
x86 machine code?  (See <http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/net/>.)
Of course the new version of VS will continue to support generating x86
machine code for the old ABI.  But it's still somewhat ironic for gcc
to achieve ABI compatibility with Microsoft's compilers just at
the point when MS introduces a new ABI.