Re: GCC vs. `make' on Solaris

    Fergus> This behaviour is a consequence of the fact that Make
    Fergus> works by looking at the timestamps on files, and "@true"
    Fergus> doesn't update the timestamp.

Yes.

I had assumed that it said:

  Oh, look, A is dependent on B.  I'd better see if B needs
  rebuilding.  Oh, B is dependent on C.  And C is newer than
  B.  So, rebuild B.  OK, I rebuilt B, now I'd better rebuild A.

I didn't realize there was another step:

  OK, I rebuilt B -- but did I actually *do* anything?  Oh,
  I didn't, OK no need to update A.

I don't think that's obvious from reading the manual, so it would be
cool if it were explained.

But now I understand how it works.

Thanks,