Re: GCC vs. `make' on Solaris

Alexandre> On May 11, 2001, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

>> 1. Use `echo' or `cat' in place of `touch' to avoid the bug.
>> In other words, use:
>> rm -f s-foo && echo > s-foo
>> This works because `creat' works; it's just `utime' that's
>> broken.

Alexandre> automake uses `echo timestamp >' instead of touch.  I
Alexandre> believe using echo without arguments may be some
Alexandre> portability issue.

I don't remember that.  I just did this since then if you look in the
file you have some idea of what it is for.

Automake doesn't use touch because, supposedly, zero-length files
cause problems for some versions of make.  I've never observed this;
it is information I got from somewhere else (maybe the GNU
standards?).

Tom