Re: GCC vs. `make' on Solaris

> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 14:01:21 -0700

> Right now, GCC won't bootstrap correctly on Solaris.  I've tracked
> the problem down to interactions between `make', `touch', Solaris,
> and NFS.

> There are a lot of possible solutions:

>   1. Use `echo' or `cat' in place of `touch' to avoid the bug.
>      In other words, use:

I favor the $(TOUCH) approach, and using a complex definition for
TOUCH on the broken machines.  It is a trivial transformation, it
solves the problem, and impacts the software minimally in a negative
way.

>   2. Get rid of all this use of stamp files.

Gosh, while we can investigate this, we should not do it because of a
random stupid bug on Solaris.  If build times are within a few % of
the non stamp build, then it would be reasonable, if they are 4x
longer, then I am in no way in favor of doing this.  Making this type
of decision without supporting data would be bad.