standard libraries

Does gcc maintain a "list" of the standard libraries that it automatically
searches?  The documentation seems to indicate that it searches "libgcc.a"
automatically, but is that hard-coded into the compiler or is there a file
with this configuration in it?  I'd like to have gcc search the math library
"libm.a" automatically as well, but I have not been able to find a way to do
it.

Thanks.

C. Mark Aulick
H. O. Systems