Re: Feedback and Suggestions on GCC

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Phil Edwards wrote:
> configure.bat and its associated oddities were removed from the tree about
> five months ago, probably for this reason.  We need to be able to safely
> assume some basic tools to build.  I don't know whether building GCC under
> NT&Co. directly is supported anymore, since there aren't enough tools to
> count on (someone else will have to speak to that point).

I've never personally used configure.bat.  I doubt if it even worked in
recent releases.

The usual way to build GCC for windows is either with Cygwin (or a similar
POSIX-ish environment, note that even Microsoft ships GCC with Interix) or
a cross toolchain.  There are scripts available to automate
downloading and building the latter.

Unfortunately, windows support is not fully integrated into GCC.  The
mingw team still distributes a patch set for 2.95.

Jeff