Re: Documentation generation patch [Take 2]

"Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> * Almost all users of GCC do not need to know about porting it; if they
> buy a printed manual, or print one out, the porting information is not
> useful to them.  Only the information on asm constraints probably needs to
> be in both using and porting manuals.  "Using and Porting" reflects a
> different era of GCC users.  If someone is porting, since interfaces do
> change incompatibly at present they want the current mainline manual, not
> anything in a bought volume that relates to a previous release.

I believe there is a switch that you can pass (to texinfo?) that will
cut out all the 'porting' stuff and produce a manual titled 'Using GCC'.

I think it's better to have one manual for writing front-ends and back-ends,
but with a clear separation (for instance, separate chapters).

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>