Installation problem on Sun Solaris 2.7

Hi,
I have downloaded the latest version from the GCC FTP site
(ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/index.html)
Name : GCC 2.95.2 (12.5 Megs)

However, I am facing a certain problem while installing it on my Sun SParc
machine running Solaris 2.7

While running the following command 'configure' in the gcc-2.95.2 directory,
it firat gives a warning

cc: Warning: option -2 passed to ld
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option --2

After that it gives the following error and terminates
The command '<$CC> -o conftest -02   conftest.c' failed.
You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

where $CC refers to the existing cc compiler
I have checked the compiler and it is working fine.
I feel the option '-02' is giving some problem.

An urgent help is needed.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshuman Mittal
VLSI Software Ltd,