Re: How to handle linker options beginning with -f?

    Stan> I agree, GNU should always take precedence.  But one of
    Stan> RMS's original clever decisions was to support non-GNU
    Stan> systems, because that allows GNU tools to insinuate
    Stan> themselves into environments that would have been much
    Stan> harder to crack otherwise.

Definitely.

I don't think we can afford to give up backward compatibility at this
point -- which is why I was suggesting that *if* we really support
funky linker options (do we?  I can't find any yet?) that we should
continue to do so.  By using the MD_REWRITE_COMMAND_LINE thingy we
could support that usage, clean up the driver, and also give ourselves
a place to issue warnings if we wanted to.  Seems good all 'round --
unless we don't need it because there are no such options.