Re: How to handle linker options beginning with -f?

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> As part of the GNU project, I think our goal should be to make life
> easy for GNU programmers, which means emphasizing the latter.  It is
> more important that building GNU programs can be done easily and
> uniformly across platforms than that we provide compatibility with
> vendor compilers.
>
> I think that means we should get rid of all the -rfoo gunk at some
> point.

I think it means we should keep and document some of the options.
-rdynamic is a meaningful option on any ELF platform.  Similarly,
providing for building uniformly across multiple platforms says we should
provide -R on multiple platforms, not just for vendor compiler
compatibility.  The semantics for such options should be defined, then
they should be supported on all platforms for which those semantics are
meaningful.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk