This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: How to handle linker options beginning with -f?
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Subject: Re: How to handle linker options beginning with -f?
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 22:39:32 +0100 (BST)
- cc: <hjl at lucon dot org>, <shebs at apple dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> As part of the GNU project, I think our goal should be to make life
> easy for GNU programmers, which means emphasizing the latter. It is
> more important that building GNU programs can be done easily and
> uniformly across platforms than that we provide compatibility with
> vendor compilers.
> I think that means we should get rid of all the -rfoo gunk at some
I think it means we should keep and document some of the options.
-rdynamic is a meaningful option on any ELF platform. Similarly,
providing for building uniformly across multiple platforms says we should
provide -R on multiple platforms, not just for vendor compiler
compatibility. The semantics for such options should be defined, then
they should be supported on all platforms for which those semantics are
Joseph S. Myers