Re: Common Language Runtime

In article <007001c0d5d8$1c3bb0a0$9865fea9@timayum4srqln4> you write:
>How could there be such a thing as an ECMA instruction set?  Maybe a

I was wondering about that too, but it makes sense when you remember that
C# is an attempt to replace Java.  Java has bytecodes.  C# has the CIL
(Common Intermediate Language) instruction set.  Not surprisingly, they
are a kind of bytecode, but apparently they are being careful not to use that
term.

It would be possible to write a gcc backend to emit CIL, but we'd rather
encourage use of java than C#.  If C# becomes widespread, then we may
eventually need a CIL backend, but we don't need one now.

Jim