This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: brokent link
- To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Subject: Re: brokent link
- From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at>
- Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 11:17:09 +0200 (CEST)
- cc: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>, Laurent Vaills <laurent dot vaills at france dot sun dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <webmasters at gnu dot org>
On Fri, 4 May 2001, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> I have simply yanked the old redirection (and we probably should be more
>> agressive in that direction in the future).
> Whereas I think we should go in the other direction, and always keep a
> redirection from any URL that was ever valid.
Usually I'd agree with you, but keeping in mind that our web pages are not
only provided from gcc.gnu.org but also www.gnu.org plus dozens of mirrors
where we do not have any kind of control over such redirections I think
abandoning the redirect in this case was the better solution, long term.
Gerald "Jerry" firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/