Re: Too hard, was: g77 Build Problems

> I think we're in "violent agreement".  The issue I'm raising is under
> MacOS X where they already have Gnu tools as standard, but I need a
> non'standard patch to as in order for g77 to work.  The posted
> instructions on the darwin-development list have me replacing the
> standard as with one that might not work for other things instead of
> putting it someplace more specific to g77.

I totally agree that you shouldn't blindly replace the standard assembler.
This is a critical component.  I don't know if this is applicable to
MacOS X but I prefer not to muck with installed system components because
sometimes system updates won't work if the components in the distribution
are changed.

I suggest building another tool kit and put it in /usr/local or whatever.
This can use the hacked g77 assembler.  Set you PATH so you normally use it
for development.  However, if something breaks, you can always switch back
to the tools bundled with MacOS X.  I have managed to install a broken
assembler more than once, so I know the problems it can cause.  This
can easily happen when you build binutils shared.  The shared libraries
are common with gdb, so it is easy to mess up the assembler installing
gdb.  It is best to build them together at the same time or stick with
static-linked tools.

Dave