Re: 32->64 bit cross compilers

Thanks for the references.

I think that we have to support 32->64 bit cross compilers in GCC 3.0,
so I think these patches should go in.  Moreover, I think we should
put in the strict checking patches as well, since it looks to me like
situations where the checks fire probably indicate that we will
otherwise generate bad code.

I'm not happy about having to do this at this point, since there is
definitely risk here.  However, you (Alexandre) didn't create the
problem, and it's great that you're fixing it.  The real problem began
with Kenner's patch way back when, and it's too bad that the problem
wasn't fixed at that point.

I'll merge the changes from the mainline, and then we'll start shaking
out whatever problems occur.  There will likely be some breakage that
we need to sort out.

Thank you,