Re: Too hard, was: g77 Build Problems

> Alternatively, isn't there a way to build an as that lives in
> /usr/local with g77, but doesn't replace the standard one?

Yes, this the environment that I use under hpux.  The compiler and
other tools can be installed anywhere you want.  When you configure gcc,
use `--with-as=' to specify the location of the assembler.  If you
can build binutils with the MacOS X tools, the default prefix will
install the tools in /usr/local.  You will still need to specify
`--with-as=/usr/local/bin/as' for the first build and install due
the way gcc finds the binutils tools.  After the gcc install directories
are created, you won't have this problem.

You can see gcc's full set of configuration options by running
the configure script in the gcc source directory with the `--help'
option.

Dave