Re: CLIB

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:09:04PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     > (1) You sometimes need to specify additional libs manually.  For example,
>     > to build a VMS cross-compiler from Dec Unix, you need to add -lm to CLIB.
>
>     This really shouldn't be necessary.  What causes it?
>
> I've never really been certain.  I assume it has something to do with
> floating-point emulation.

It must cause some sort of undefined symbol error?

I actually have access to a Dec Unix box, I'll try building a VMS
cross-compiler and see what happens.

>     The fix here is to figure out exactly which executables need -lexc,
>     add an autoconf probe for its existence, and @-substitute it onto the
>     link line for just those executables.  It's important not to link
>     random programs with libraries they may not need, particularly if
>     those libraries are shared.
>
> Any Ada program for Dec Unix needs it since that's how exceptions are
> handled.

If all Ada programs for Dec Unix need it, then perhaps the gnat driver
should be adjusted to add it to the link line automatically on that
target?  That shouldn't be too hard.

zw