finding strict aliasing problems

I have a few hundred thousand lines of heavily-macroized C code that
implements the runtime system of Gambit-C, a Scheme->C compiler and
interpreter.  When compiled with gcc-3.1 of 04/30/2001 on
alphaev6-unknown-linux-gnu, the runtime behaves differently with and
without the -fno-strict-aliasing option.  (It also behaves differently
with and without some other options, but I'm going to start with this
one.)

I've just read a lot of the mail from 1999 on this issue, looked around
the FAQ, grepped the info files, blah-blah-blah.  Can anyone offer
any advice on how to ferret out possible aliasing errors in this code?

Brad Lucier