Re: PR2076

On Wednesday, April 25, 2001, at 06:30  PM, David Edelsohn wrote:

> 	This does not seem correct to me.  The question is not where the
> receiver looks for the arguments, but what the ABI says.  The ABI (for
> AIX
> at least) says that it must be placed in both locations.

True, but I don't think that's necessarily an overriding consideration,
IF no runtime compatability problems can arise.   According to its docs,
anyway, gcc has been willing to tolerate some actual runtime
incompatiblities
(see the chapter "Interfacing to GCC Output" for examples).  If that's
acceptable, this difference [which is harmless, and results in  more
efficient code generation in a common case, namely printf("%f")]  should
be also, IMHO.  To be sure, my main job at the moment is improving the
quality of the generated code, which may bias me a bit.:)

However, I am not the final arbiter.  So I will also do it in full
pedantic ABI conformance, and whoever has authority can take their pick.