Re: libjava test suite keeps getting stuck

Zack Weinberg wrote:

> > I'm not fully convinced it's a libtool bug anyway.  I've got some pending
> > fixes to libjava/Makefile.am that might help.  Then again, if we stop
> > pulling in libsupc++ it'll disappear anyway.
>
> Hm, why don't we make like libstdc++ and absorb libsupc++ into
> libjava?  I don't see any intrinsic reason why this wouldn't work.

This is exactly what we do now. The problem with it is that theoretically
different incompatible versions of various libsupc++ functions (EH comes to
mind, a problem we already encountered in gcj before libgcc was shared) could
be loaded if a user linked a binary against both libstdc++ and libgcj (which
is a perfectly reasonable thing to do for an application using CNI).

At this point I'm starting to think that we should just bite the bullet and
link libgcj against libstdc++, at least if we can be fairly confident that the
ABI for libstdc++ is going to remain fairly stable.

regards

  [ bryce ]