Re: Bootstrap failure of gcc-ss-20010409 in ia64

Just a few more comments on what you and other people have said...

This particular problem with the debug info did not exist until you checked in
a patch that turned off the RTL inliner.  As such, it represents a regression,
and regressions should be fixed.

I see this as another part of the tree inliner that isn't finished yet.  The
RTL inliner handled this correctly.  It is easy for the tree inliner to handle
this correctly too, we just haven't written the code for it yet.  This should
be done before the tree inliner permanently replaces the RTL inliner.

It is easy to disregard debug info related problems because they don't
interfere with bootstraps.  However, debug info support is important for
maintaining gcc and other programs, and a lot of people have put a lot of
hard work into making the debug info useful.  We should not lightly abandon
that effort.

The breakage here is not as serious as it might seem.  Remember, the trunk
is not broken because of this bug, only the branch.  This is because the
bug goes away with Richard's large C++ EH/Unwind API patch.  The only testcase
we have for this problem fails because of fake variables inserted by the C++
front end for EH purposes.  It is unclear if this bug will be triggered by
any other testcases.  Richard will be checking his patch onto the branch before
long, so the problem will go away even if we don't do anything to dwarf2out.c.

I'm still working on java related build failures on the trunk that appeared
recently.  I expect that I will get to this problem today.  I will check in
a patch to punt on the branch, and then document the correct fix in dwarf2out.c
on the trunk, or if it isn't too hard, I may just write the damn code myself.

Jim