Re: AutoGen as a GNU package

> From: Bruce Korb <bkorb@allegronetworks.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:13:46 -0700

> > Based on the evaluators' report, I've decided I would like to make
> > AutoGen a GNU package.  But there is one point they told me which
> > seems like a problem that ought to be solved:
> >
> >     Version 5.x is the current, Guile-enabled version, but
> >     version 4.x is the series required to build the include
> >     fixer for GCC.  (Can't change -- no Guile for CygWin )-:
> >
> > It seems like a very bad thing to need to keep an old version around
> > indefinitely.  Can you explain the reasons to me in more detail?
> > Let's look for a solution.
>
> If we can assume GCC maintainers all have access to "Standard GNU Tools"
> and Guile is included in "Standard GNU Tools", then all maintainers
> would have access to the prerequisites to running AutoGen 5.x.

I think that this is the wrong way to look at it.

The GNU project is based on giving the users of our software the
freedom to read and change it.  If we provide files that require a
tool to build that is not available on some platform(s), then an
important freedom is lost, because the user cannot readily change that
part of the code.

So, it is not just "maintainers", it is all users who must be able to
rebuild the program from source.

In this particular case, I think it would be OK to require Guile to
create fixincludes if we stopped using fixincludes on the platforms
that can't support Guile, because then all the users who would need to
run it could run it.  I don't know if this is feasible.

I have added the main GCC mailing list to the CC, as this change seems
like it would affect everyone using GCC not just those people with
blanket write privileges.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>