Re: Java-related bootstrap failure on release branch

On Apr  9, 2001, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>> I believe this is a new bootstrap failure on the release branch(!), for
>>> I seem to have bootstrapped on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 about two days ago:

Jeff> I'd bet on the patch that bumped the libgcj major version to 2.
Jeff> That's what broke my alpha-linux build.

Jeff> Removing ${prefix}/lib/libgcj.so first may help.

> I don't understand that.  At least, the libtool manual doesn't seem to
> warn about this happening.  Alexandre, can you help me understand what
> is going on here?

Apparently, it's a new sanity check of Sun ld in Solaris 8 that breaks
perfectly valid link commands :-(

It seems to verify that a library explicitly named in the command
line, when searched in the given -L flags, would result in a different
library being found.

Gerry, could you please test whether the same link command, with the
additional flags `-L../boehm-gc/.libs -L../zlib/.libs -L./.libs'
before any other -L flags, would succeed?