Re: Will 2.95.4 ship with new libobjc ?

Hi,

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:07:22 +0100 (BST), Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

> As far as I know, the newer libobjc is totally stable - more stable than
> the one which ships with gcc-2.95.3 as some thread fixings have been done.
>
> The main changes which have been done are:
>
>  * libobjc now builds as shared as well;
>  * importatnt fixes for threads;

Can you describe what are the changes for threads? Since most of the
thread management is in libgcc now, do these changes affect other
runtime libraries?

>  * a couple of new useful hooks (harmless in all other respects) have been
>    added.

Can you describe these as well?

> These changes are also the reason why we use the newer libobjc.
>
> I have no notice of bugs in it.  It is in quite widespread use (unlike the
> gcc-3.x objective-c compiler which nobody uses since it doesn't work), so
> it shouldn't be a risk at all to port it to gcc-2.95.4.

I believe we should port the changes to 2.95.4, it's definitely a
hassle to compile libobjc outside the compiler. It would make the life
a lot easier to people.

Regards,
Ovidiu