Re: [new-regalloc] What's the status on the new allocator?

You wrote:

  > I just joined the mailing list yesterday due to someone telling me
  > that work was being done on rewriting gcc's register allocator
  > using a Chaitin/Brigg's style graph coloring algorithm.  This topic
  > is near and dear to me (I developed Interference Region Spilling using
  > gcc 2.7.2 for my thesis work) and I was contemplating reimplementing
  > it (targeting PPC) to test out some new spill code minimization and
  > coalescing ideas I have.  However, I see that you've beaten me to it! :-)
  >
  > Scanning through the mailing list archive, I see that the allocator
  > is somewhat implemented.  Can someone please give a short status
  > update on the new allocator?  Also, I haven't seen a detailed list
  > of what will be implemented (ie, Iterated Coalescing, Optimistic Coalescing,
  > live range spilling,...).  I'd appreciate it if someone could describe
  > what will be going into the new allocator too.  Thanks!

As nobody else answered...

There is a branch in CVS with the tag new-regalloc-branch that
contains the new register allocator. There's a TODO list in the file
ra.c
That branch is known to bootstrap on x86-linux (but you need to
configure with --enable-checking=misc,gc ) and I heard it bootstraps
on ppc-linux.

At http://www.cygnus.com/~dnovillo/SPEC/ you can find SPEC95 results
for the new-regalloc-branch ...

Hope this helps.